August 5 in Santa Monica
|Dates:||Sunday August 5 @
1:00pm – 3:00pm
|Location:||Highways Performance Space
1651 18th Street
At 18th Street Arts Center
(½ block north of Olympic Blvd)
Santa Monica, CA 90404 [map]
This free and super-friendly workshop is led by trailblazing transgender choreographer Sean Dorsey from San Francisco along with his Company dancers – and will include conversation, cookies and intro/beginner movement/dance. Please join us!
THIS FREE CLASS IS PART OF SEAN DORSEY DANCE’S TOUR TO L.A. — we are performing our show “The Secret History Of Love” on SAT AUG 4 @ 8:30pm and SUN AUG 5 @ 7:00pm. Info: www.seandorseydance.com.
* Sean’s company Sean Dorsey Dance is performing their powerful show about LGBT love and history (The Secret History Of Love) this same weekend (Aug 4 & 5: www.highwaysperformance.org).
* Sean will talk about his experience and history as a transperson, how he decided to become a dancer, being the director of a transgender arts nonprofit, and how his unique fusion of dance, storytelling and theater is creating space for transgender and queer bodies and stories in dance.
* Sean and his company dancers will lead us through some basic stretching and dance movement. No experience necessary! This will be super-friendly, non-judgmental, and for ALL levels, including TOTAL beginners!
* We know that transgender and gender-variant people don’t generally feel welcome, safe or comfortable in dance studios or classes…so please know this is truly going to be a super-friendly environment!
* Wear anything that you’re comfortable in – and that you can move around in. Sweatpants, shorts, loose pants, baggy jeans. There will be no touch involved at all, and you can change privately in gender-neutral bathrooms. There will be snacks too!
The L.A. Transgender Film Festival
The L.A. Trans Leadership Academy,
Gender Justice L.A.,
Fresh Meat Productions,
The James Irvine Foundation,
And Highways Performance Space.