TRANS + ALLY DANCE CLASS…TERRIFIED BEGINNERS WELCOME!
with transgender choreographer Sean Dorsey and dancers from their company
SAT MAY 5 / 2PM–3:30PM
Velocity Dance Center
1621 12th Ave, Seattle, WA
Drop-in $15 ($12 Velocity MVP Member)
This welcoming, super-friendly dance class—led by award-winning transgender dancer/choreographer Sean Dorsey and dancers from their company—will include breathing and relaxation, simple stretches, beginner movement exercises, and space for conversation. Everyone, especially terrified beginners, is welcome. Please arrive early to register, change clothes, etc. / Photo by Kegan Marling
Questions? Read below – and if you still have questions, email us at email@example.com!
* WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT? Sean will open with some breathing and relaxation, then will lead the group through some basic stretching, dance movements and simple dance phrases. The group will also create our own simple movement ideas, and we’ll finish with some more breathing and relaxation. No experience necessary! This will be super-friendly, non-judgmental, and for ALL levels, including TOTAL beginners! This is about loving up our unique bodies and creating safe space for us all to express ourselves.
* YIKES! I’M AFRAID TO DANCE IN PUBLIC! We know that transgender, nonbinary and LGBTQ people often don’t feel welcome, safe or comfortable in dance studios or classes … so please know this is truly going to be a super-friendly environment!
* WHAT SHOULD I WEAR? Wear clothing that you’re comfortable in – and that you can move freely around in (including laying on the floor). Please wear sweatpants, loose shorts, loose pants, leggings or any other comfortable bottoms and a comfortable shirt.
* WHERE CAN I PEE? WHERE CAN I CHANGE? We will provide access to an all-gender bathroom and an all-gender changing room.
* WILL WE WEAR SHOES? We will be dancing barefoot.
* WILL THERE BE ANY TOUCH INVOLVED? There will be no touch involved.
* DO I HAVE TO TALK? We will do introductions and will do a creative exercise that involves speaking several words outloud, but you will be given the option not to speak outloud at all if you prefer.
* CAN I WEAR LEGWARMERS AND A SPARKLY HEADBAND? Heck yeah! Let’s make our workshop space as playful and fun as you want it!
* WAIT A SECOND: I’M NOT “IN SHAPE” … CAN I STILL COME? Heck yeah! This is for all levels, all bodies, all heart rates! You can sit down or rest or cheer from the sidelines at any time you need to!
* NO REALLY, I’M SUPER TERRIFIED … SHOULD I STILL COME? Heck yeah! This is a super supportive, loving environment that is super supportive and welcoming of the super terrified! Being really nervous or scared is a really common and normal feeling, and we understand what it feels like. Please come and join us!