Always wanted to dance but didn’t feel comfortable trying because you are transgender, non-binary, or LGBTQI2S+? You’ve come to the right place!
Saturday March 4th: 11am-12:30pm (English)
How to Register:
Here on Velocity Dance Center’s site.
Location: Velocity Dance Center (Seattle) at
12th Avenue Arts | 1620 12th Ave. Seattle, WA
TERRIFIED BEGINNERS WELCOME! This all-levels, super-friendly workshop led by transgender choreographer Sean Dorsey and his all-queer/gender-nonconforming/non-binary company will lead us through mindful breathing, meditation, a gentle warmup, movement exercises … and then creative self-expression through movement! For ALL levels – including terrified “non-dancers”!
Please join us for this super-friendly and welcoming workshop (especially if you’re terrified!).
PLEASE WEAR COMFORTABLE CLOTHING that you can move in. We will be barefoot, and we will sometimes be sitting or lying on the floor. We will provide all-gender bathrooms and changing areas. All ages, all bodies, all levels, all welcome! There will be no touch involved.
Wheelchair accessible venue, workshop area and bathrooms. All-gender bathroom /changing room available.
Please come a bit early to change clothes or find the space.
THIS WORKSHOP is part of Sean Dorsey Dance’s week-long residency at Velocity Dance Center: don’t miss our performances of THE LOST ART OF DREAMING (March 2-5 at 12th Avenue Arts, Seattle)!
FAQ’s – FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
- YIKES! I’M AFRAID TO DANCE IN PUBLIC! We know that transgender, non-binary and LGBTQ people often don’t feel welcome, safe or comfortable in dance studios or classes … so please know this is truly going to be a super-friendly environment! And you can dance from the safety of your own home!
- WHAT SHOULD I WEAR? Wear clothing that you’re comfortable in – and that you can move freely around in (including laying on the floor). Please wear sweatpants, loose shorts, loose pants, leggings or any other comfortable bottoms and a comfortable shirt. You can dance in socks or in bare feet or shoes.
- CAN I WEAR LEGWARMERS AND A SPARKLY HEADBAND? Heck yeah! Let’s make our dance space as playful and fun as you want it!
- WAIT A SECOND: I’M NOT “IN SHAPE” … CAN I STILL JOIN? Heck yeah! This is for all levels, all bodies, all heart rates! You can sit down or rest or cheer from the sidelines at any time you need to!
- NO REALLY, I’M TERRIFIED … SHOULD I STILL JOIN? Heck yeah! This is a supportive, loving environment that is super supportive and welcoming of the terrified! Being really nervous or scared is a really common and normal feeling, and we understand what it feels like. Please come and join us!